Non Raceday Request for Ruling – Written Decision dated 23 August 2022 – BIG TIME JARRED
BIG TIME JARRED
Waikato Greyhound Racing Club
Cambridge Raceway - 1 Taylor Street, Cambridge, 3434
Awapuni Racecourse, Palmerston North
Penalty: BIG TIME JARRED disqualified from 3rd place
1. The Informant requested a Ruling in relation to the outcome of the “Capital Working Dog Breed Sprint” race at the Waikato Greyhound Racing Club meeting held at Cambridge on 2 December 2021.
2. The greyhound BIG TIME JARRED, trained by the Respondents finished 3rd earning a Stake of $270. It had been subject to a pre-race swabbing test. Later analysis of the swab sample proved it to be positive to Procaine, a Category 5 Prohibited Substance being an anesthetic drug used to reduce pain.
3. The Respondents advised the Investigator that a possible explanation for this finding might have been contaminated meat obtained from a Taranaki farmer which Mr Agent, a Licensed pet food processor, had processed. Later enquiries supported the explanation.
4. Rule 61.4 requires that any greyhound which competes in a race and is found to be the recipient of a prohibited substance shall be disqualified. The Rule is mandatory, and the Respondents have consented to the disqualification of the dog.
5. Accordingly, BIG TIME JARRED is disqualified from its 3rd placing in the described in para (2) and the greyhounds placed 4th and 5th are promoted to 3rd and 4th respectively and Stakes redistributed accordingly.
6. There is no order as to costs.
Dated at Wellington 19 August 2022
Hon JW Gendall QC
Decision Date: 19/08/2022
Publish Date: 25/08/2022